Drupal Web Design & Development
Drupal is a powerful content management system that offers you a user-friendly way of editing your web site. Contact us or request a quote!
We're based in Northern Virginia and serve customers throughout Virginia, Maryland, Washington, D.C. and globally. Drupal is open-source and free, so you won't be locked into a contract or license. Drupal is supported by a passionate developer community and is the CMS of choice for the White House (whitehouse.gov), ING, the Small Business Association, World Economic Forum, the US House of Representatives, and many others.
With Drupal you can manage your content publishing workflows by defining unlimited user roles and content types. Drupal provides a flexible approach to site growth and change; additional functionality and features can be added on later as needed, without a need to switch to another CMS.
Take a look at our Drupal blog, client list, or have a look at our client map. Our typical Drupal clients tend to be government entities or non-profits, manufacturers and distributors and professional services companies. Have a look at some of our web site examples below:
We built a site for a public health non-profit called using Drupal 7. It features integrated blog RSS feeds and maps of projects. Name withheld due to client confidentiality.
Please contact us so that we can share additional details.
Washington DC region economic development authority
We maintain a large Drupal 6 site for a northern Virginia county government. This particular client is a county government organization and as such we cannot disclose their name on our site.
Please contact us so that we can share additional details.
EIT, LLC ($75+ M/yr) is located in Sterling, Virginia and has been providing complete electronic design, assembly and test services since 1977. EIT's old site was built using static HTML pages and was becoming outdated. EIT staff needed a way to edit pages without involving web developers in every content change. In addition, EIT's southern Virginia facility (in Danville) had its own site at eitsouth.com, the contents of which needed to be merged into the main corporate site at eit.com.
We designed and built a new site from the ground up using Drupal 7, configured in such a way that designated staff members could edit pages. The page editor supports content revisions, so that editors can roll back to a previous version at will. The design features an image slideshow on the home page and a customized header image for each area of the site. The Careers page allows the HR derpartment to add job openings that candidates can apply for on the spot, including the required EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) form. Submitted form data is emailed to relevant personnel within the company, and can be exported to CSV or Excel formats.
Business Strategies International - Consulting and venture development firm. When Business Strategies International came to us, they had a web presence containing very interesting articles, but required an enhanced site they could easily maintain themselves. We converted their Macromedia Contribute site to Drupal 7 with full multilingual functionality in English, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. We also added custom lead tracking that writes leads to an Excel-compatible log file and e-mails them to the client.
Emerald Education Systems - Emerald Education Systems is an online publisher of authoritative and accredited continuing education (CE) courses with a current focus in low vision rehabilitation. We provide ongoing Drupal support and maintenance, including Drupal module updates, security audits, PCI compliance, e-mail configuration, and design improvements.
PPLVR - The PPLVR Learning Community is a peer-to-peer online network where low vision rehabilitation (LVR) professionals can meet one another, share knowledge and new ideas, discuss challenging cases, and keep current on issues of concern to LVR practitioners. Optometrists, ophthalmologists, occupational therapists, orientation and mobility specialists, vision teachers, social workers, psychologists, and other vision rehabilitation and education professionals regularly participate in PPLVR's online courses. We provide ongoing Drupal support and maintenance, including Drupal module updates, security audits, PCI compliance, e-mail configuration, and design improvements.
Brooklyn Prospect Charter School
After being referred to us by another NY charter school, we set to work upgrading Brooklyn Prospect's Drupal site to the latest version and correcting a number of issues. Our focus then shifted to improving the design and functionality, so that the school now has a list of teachers, who each have their own profile which students can watch for announcements and additional course materials. The improved site also has an events calendar which sends a tweet to Twitter each time a new event is added.
Drupal provides a simple interface to easily create new content and update existing content.
Below is an example of the process to create and and update a web page as shown using the customized Drupal site at eit.com:
1. Login with the administrator username and password:
2. After logging in the admin sees the option to create content and clicks the option to create a new page:
3. Choose which content type you wish to create:
4. The admin is taken to an interface to enter in the title, text, and images for the page:
5. Preview your page or click the Submit button to publish your page live to your website:
To edit an existing page you simply browse to the page on your site, click the edit button and follow the steps described above.
As you can see from the brief example above, Drupal makes it easy to create and update content.
You probably need to be able create multiple types of content such as static pages, blog posts, news items, press releases, videos, newsletter issues, etc. Drupal is perfectly suited for this.
Each type of content has unique fields and each content type needs to be published to specific areas of the site so it makes good business sense to automate the standard processes that never change.
Custom Content Types are especially useful if you have multiple people publishing content to your website as this approach ensures that consistency is maintained.
Custom Content Types Examples
- Page - a regular static page which would be used to create pages such as an About Us page, What We Do and other pages that rarely change and only have the basic needs of text, links, and images.
- Blog - a blog post may have a Title, Summary, Full Description, Author, and Date and will display under the Blog category as well have a short description of the blog promoted to the home page under the latest blog posts section.
- News Item - a news item could have a Title, Summary, Full Description, Date, and possibly fields for PDF attachments, for example for press releases. The news item would then show up on the news page as well as on the home page in the "latest news" area.
Benefits of Custom Content Types
- Automates the repetitive processes of content creation, resulting in faster content creation
- Maintain consistency of appearance and organization of your content
Drupal provides the ability to create multiple groups of users (user roles) and assign unique permissions to each role.
Example Scenario of Multiple User Roles and Permissions:
A clinical laboratory regularly posts operating instructions for lab equipment. The lab writes the web page text but their technical support department writes the technical manual and supplies PDFs.
Drupal is used to create three user groups:
- Lab Instruction Page Editor Role
- Technical Support Department Role
- Management Role
1. The Lab Instruction user group can add an instruction page to the site which goes into moderation for Management to review. Management has the ability to approve the instruction page and notify the Management that the page is ready for review.
2. Management is able to review the instruction page and post comments that are viewable by both the Lab Instruction Page Editor and Management. This notifies the Technical Support Department user(s) that the instruction page is approved and ready for the instruction manual PDF.
3. The Technical Support Department user creates the PDF and uploads it to the system.
4. Management approves & publishes the content.
Give us a call: 877-515-NOVA