Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
So you've got a great site, but can anyone find it?
Simply having your site online is not enough to attract visitors. To attract new visitors, they must be able to find you using search engines or while browsing other sites. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) involves making sure search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing are actually indexing your site, and if so we make sure your site can be found for the keywords that your intended audience might use. Once a visitor arrives on your site, they should be drawn in. That may mean holding back some information, and revealing only as much as the visitor wants to find out at any given time. Your site must have a clear layout and intuitive navigation, and this needs be reflected in the HTML markup as well.
Beware the snake oil salespeople promising Google page one ranking!
Yes, them's fightin' words, we know, but we have seen too many customers taken in by fast talkers who claim they can achieve overnight page one ranking on Google, but buyer beware: if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Such companies use various techniques (some of questionable legality / ethics) to achieve that. The end result might be a page one ranking, but on the other hand Google may very well catch on to whatever technique is being used, and can blacklist your site permanently. Good search engine rankings are not achieved overnight, and once achieved must be maintained. It is an ongoing and evolving process. and we would love to be your partner in that.
Some examples of what we do to optimize for search engin
- Adding vital keywords to page titles, content, and image ALT tags. We help with copywriting so that the final product is search engine friendly.
- Adding META descriptions and keywords to all your pages, customized to each page. This is not all too important, but can be useful if certain keywords are often misspelled; this allows you to capture visitors who may have misspelled those keywords.
- Setting up a blog to drive traffic.
- Google AdWords and Overture pay-per-click ad campaigns with finely tuned keywords targeted at specific locations and web sites.
- Submitting your site to all major search engines, using XML sitemaps when possible.
- Using Google Sitemaps and Yahoo Site Explorer to ensure they index your site effectively. These sitemaps can be auto-generated by CMSes such as Joomla, Drupal, WordPress, etc.
- Google Analytics setup and analysis. For e-commerce sites this can be set up to track completed sales, and it can also be tied into your AdWords campaign to track ROI.
- Hiding unimportant or sensitive parts of your site (such as images and private directories) from search engines.
We can carry out any of these SEO tasks on an as-needed basis but can also send you a monthly quote for any combination of the above so that we will look after your search engine optimization and you can focus on your business. That includes detailed monthly reporting and performance analysis for the keywords you are trying to optimize for.
When set up correctly and thoughtfully, a CMS site (for example using Joomla) can greatly improve your search engine optimization by auto-generating a sitemap for Google Sitemaps and Yahoo! Site Explorer. The sitemap keeps itself updated, and the search engines keep coming back to re-index your site as it changes. On top of that, the site can be set up with search engine and human-friendly URLs that contain valuable keywords, and can even automatically populate your meta keywords tag with the most common words from any given page. These SEO benefits are more easily accomplished (and more economical) with a CMS. Read more about our CMS services ...